Friday, July 8, 2011

Back to work...maybe~


Having had a few mini vacations, one to Tucson to watch the fireworks in the desert after the monsoon, and one to help take care of my ailing mother, I'm back to work. Sort of.


I am having a very difficult time getting back into the swing of things. Is this what is called writer's block?We arrived home late Tuesday the 5th and while I had every intention of writing and doing a lot of work on Wednesday & Thursday, it's now Friday. I've piddled around and read all my emails and Facebook comments from my friends but I haven't done anything that can be considered paid labor. Unless you count making dinner for myself and my employed husband and then doing the dishes and laundry, which of course somebody has to do!

I paid a few bills, upgraded my phone at the Sprint store (see my pretty new purple fone in the picture!), helped a client with 3 very old whole life insurance policies, went to an H & R Block tax meeting, talked to my friends, took the car to the tire shop to remove a nail from it, drove my daughter's foreign exchange student to school, watered the plants on the patio, went shopping, mailed a few things, and that's about it. The sum total of 2 and a half days.

Why is working from home take so much discipline? Is it because the whole house screams at you:  clean me, wash me, fix me, eat me. I hate "fixed" schedules, even when I worked in an office. I always preferred getting in early or staying late when needed so that if needed, I could cut out for a few hours either in the middle of the day or in the afternoon and still manage to get all the work done. Now, if I don't start, nothing gets done, but no one, really, is awaiting me. Well, my publisher is waiting for me to finish my latest assignment - but apparently the "deadline", which came and went on the first of June is not really "dead" and according to Nick, I can keep writing more pieces, if I want.

Maybe I'm just tired of the assignment and bored and ready to start a new project? Or maybe I just need to discipline myself, buckle down, and get going.

My goal now: 2 to 3 articles every day until we leave on our next vacation. I hope I manage to keep the ball rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment