Monday, April 25, 2011

Getting rid of stuff

It all started when my husband complained that we have too much stuff crammed into our little house. We do, it's true. We've traveled all over the world, and I have to bring back mementos. I am a very sentimental person and I love old things, handmade things, pretty things, lots of things. He hates clutter. He would prefer to have a minimalist type of decor, you know, like you see in the movies of the single guy in a loft in New York. Chrome and leather couch and chair and coffee table in the living room. Bed and maybe a nightstand in the bedroom. That's it. No photos, no gewgaws, no heirlooms, nothing personal, no dustcatchers.

We have a lot of dustcatchers. And I am allergic to dust. I decided all the clutter had to go.

But it's so hard to part with my stuff! I don't want to dump it all in one of those donation boxes. The fragile things might break! I decided to try to sell a few things on ebay. I started watching similar items and they sold for pennies! Couldn't do it.

Next I decided to take some of my stuff that I've bought in 3rd world countries --handcarved or handcrafted things-- to a store that I saw in a local mall. They had lots of similar stuff. Maybe they would buy some!  I boxed up 2 small boxes of samples. Lugged them over to the store. Trotted them out for show, he loved all of them, but only landed on 5 little carved animals, made from a type of large nut that when carved, looks like ivory. But isn't. Sold the 5 for $7.50. Wish I could have sold the lot to him rather than lugging it all home again!

I may try Ebay again. If that fails, I guess we are back to the donation box again! Or maybe I could give the stuff away as Christmas and Birthday presents?

No comments:

Post a Comment