Monday, April 25, 2011

Good news and bad news

The good news is that when I took my daughter's laptop to get looked at, miraculously, it worked! Either I didn't have the power cord plugged in correct and it drained the battery or else the shaking up in the car drive to the shop was a fixer. Yay! Laptop is good to go.

The bad news is that I went to the big box computer store where they had taken my own laptop to be sent off to Sony for repair. I had left my external harddrive with them to download all my stuff off the laptop onto the drive. Saturday, the guy called me and said that the drive was ready, come pick it up. When I proffered my receipt to the counter person, he left to find the small box with the drive, now holding (I assumed) all my precious pictures, articles, resumes, you name it. I gotta have that stuff! He couldn't find it. Asked some other dude to help, he couldn't find it anywhere.

They finally asked a young lady, who tried her best to find it, no go. The other 2 guys gave up and wandered off to do "other stuff". She called the tech at home (who did the transfer on Saturday, and called me to say it's ready), he said "it's right there where I left it Saturday night". Yet it has disappeared. Gone. She looks everywhere, no finding it.  Sends me home. Says that maybe, when they packaged my computer up to send to Sony, they packaged the separate drive along with the laptop, although I can't figure out why anyone in their right mind would do this since it's not a Sony and furthermore, was in working order when I left it with the tech. Yikes! So I ask them to please find the laptop and get all the stuff on the laptop's drive loaded onto SOMETHING before they take it apart.

So-So news: The laptop is still in the warehouse. I left it at the big box computer store on Friday, they packaged it to ship on Saturday, but TOO LATE for pickup, so it hadn't left yet on Monday around 2:30. Am beginning to realize just why the last time they fixed the thing it took 4 weeks and then they just gave me a new one anyway.

Moral of the story: Don't drop the computer. Takes too much out of a person to go through all this just to get it fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment