Thursday, June 9, 2011

Laptops! I have 2 now!

I bought a new laptop last summer. I am certain that it was defective because in about 2 weeks the screen went crazy horizontal lines - no normal screen sights at all. I took it in to the computer big box store and 5 weeks later, they sent me a new one. First they lost it, then they apparently hadn't typed in my correct phone number, so they sent me a nasty email that said "we have tried to reach you, your computer is ready, come get it." Hooray! then a few months later, I dropped it on the tile floor. It still worked fine but the external box on the left by the hinge was severely dented and closed funny.

Since it still worked fine, I was too embarrassed to take it in for repairs, so I waited until this spring to take it back. I took it in, along with my external hard drive so that they could back up all my new stuff onto the external drive. They called me a few days later to say that the external drive was ready. I went there to pick it up, and they had lost it! Stolen, destroyed, lost, who knows where that thing - mind you with all my stuff on it - was.

Someone there with a few brain cells went and retrieved my laptop from the warehouse (where it goes to be sent off to Sony for repairs) so that the data could be backed up onto a new external drive. Whew. Then they couldn't find the laptop AGAIN!! I was furious. When I went to pick up my laptop, it had been sent back, yet not repaired!

I'm going to skip over all the back and forth and trips to the store and complaints and people passing the buck and so on etc. I will skip ahead to a call I received from the store manager telling me that, because of the bad service that I received, they wanted to GIVE ME another laptop! OK, but what about the one that is @ Sony, supposedly being repaired? Oh, that one is yours, too. This will be one from us to show us our sincere apologies.

I might also mention that right before this call that I received, on my last trip to the store, I had  requested a letter, signed by someone at the store, that stated that the store LOST my external hard drive and took responsibility for that loss. Yes, they replaced it, but it had a lot of personal, private information on it. I wanted some proof in case my identity got stolen somehow, that could trace it back to that. The manager said that he was certain that the hard drive was destroyed.  Apparently when they transfer data from one old external drive to another new one, they destroy the old one. I certainly hope that is what happened.

So, now I am enjoying using 2 computers at once! I can research on one screen, write on the other....so much easier than tabbing back and forth.

I guess it pays to complain sometimes. And ask for proof of loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment