Thursday, June 16, 2011

Trying to get rid of old stuff

Over the last 30+ years, I have amassed a large quantity of National Geographic magazines. I have also picked up a few very old ones, from the 50's and 60's. I find them fascinating and I love reading and re-reading them. Unfortunately, they take up a lot of space in my closet and they are nasty dustcatchers. 

This week, I decided to cull out a few keepers and sell the rest on Craig's list. I took a picture of a few new and a very old one, and posted the item on Craig's list. Someone named "Mike" immediately asked to come look at them, and I replied that we could meet at a local diner. Nice safe busy place, I don't really want any strangers at my house!

I asked my strong son to get them down off the top shelf in the closet and help me put them in boxes, so I could cart them out to the car and hopefully, sell the lot.

Meanwhile, my son started looking through them, and said that $30 was way too cheap a price for the collection; then he started finding the ones that he wanted to keep - and started throwing out bids for the lot. My reply was that "Mike" already wanted to buy the lot for $30.  My sense of duty and honesty propelled me to keep my word, I felt that I couldn't go back on "Mike" and sell the lot to someone else and tell him, tough luck.

Plan was to meet "Mike" today @ noon. Around 11:00, I received an email from "Mike", he no longer wants to buy them.

New Plan:  I will chronicle the issues and edit my Craig's list posting. Or else just take them down to Half-Priced books and get a few dollars credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment